Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

RE: [teacherartexchange] Edible Clay Recipe - Fun project for kindergarden (and up!)

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 16 2005 - 05:57:38 PDT

Here is Jeryl's recipe:

Edible Clay

1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup light corn syrup
teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound box powdered sugar
food coloring

Blend the first four ingredients together and then mix in the powdered
sugar. Knead until smooth, adding more sugar if necessary to make a
sticky, pliable clay. The butter should be cold (don't prepare this
mixture on a hot day: the clay will be too soft to model). Divide the
ball of clay into small portions and mix in food coloring. Paste type
food colorings are recommended since they are more intense in color
than the liquid type (you can buy them in the craft section of
Wal-mart). Cut the edible clay into small pieces about the size of
marbles, so that each student will have two or three different colored

Many are looking for ideas that motivate for the end of the year.
Have fun with this one. There are probably many recipes online for
edible clay (I asked Jeryl for the one she uses - "tried and true").

Judy Decker

Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources