Re: [teacherartexchange] Last art lessons for year

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon May 16 2005 - 03:15:19 PDT

In a message dated 05/15/2005 1:41:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
felsecker@insightbb.com writes:

The lesson I just finished is one where they drew large flowers on
watercolor paper using glue...without any preliminary drawing.

> They used "liquid watercolors" that come in bottles. First time I've used
this. I put it out in small cups with lids with just a tiny amount in each
cup...and when we added more to the cups, they only added a small amount.

> They wet each section of paper first and then dropped in the colors
letting them run and bleed together.

> After the watercolor dried, they outlined in really fine ink pens.

In the fall my third graders did this also. I gave them a variety of leaves
to observe. They drew leaves in an overall design with just white glue,
including the veins, on water color paper. We also used liqiud water colors
(Sax) when the glue dried. When the watercolors dried they outlined in extra
thin black sharpies. It was such a hit that after they finished this that
they made another and we used it for a note book cover. We added paper, bound
them, and I brought them as gifts to the other Disney Teachers of the Year.
Everyone loved their handmade gifts- never believing that third graders made
such gorgeous art! But, they did- it was that easy! This lesson, using
flowers, was in Arts and Activities or School Arts last year. I adapted it to
leaves, but the original was flowers.
Susan on Long Island