[teacherartexchange] plans for a very sick art teacher

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 01:53:43 PDT

You seem to be asking two questions:
One: how to plan long term for an art program that you may not be clear
about what was going to happen?
Two: how to help students deal with their concerns for their teacher.
-What level or age group is it?
-How long was their art teacher at this school? This one is useful because
older student who have completed the teachers program can be valuable in
finding out about units.
My very first thought was listing three things I learned from Mr X., than
create art images around these. ( Sounds a bit like Wendy's end of year
idea)
A Second thought get a book on American sign language and have kids
position hands and write get well in sign or something similar. Involves
observation of hands in unique positions, and finished in any media.
-A third consistently easy experience is to find good examples of pen and
ink artworks and illustrations in a library. Photocopy off several copies
of each . Cut bits about 1 x1 inch out of them. fill a couple of shoe
boxes. I make sure that the image can not easily be re assembled by only
taking portions of each image. than with a bit of glue attach 2 or 3 pieces
on paper as starter bits for a hidden square art work. I have the kids
blend the edges and turn it into a collage of marks and images, than ink
over. I teach the concepts of hatching, crosshatching, dots, gradations in
ink while doing it. They seem to just enjoy.
-Art Synetics is an excellent book to find in your library. We do the
zipper exercise... and the analogy exercise from it. Keep in touch with us!

Randy in Maine
india99@infionline.net