Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] SDAIE images - Specially Designed Academic Instruction in English

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 09:36:43 PDT

Greetings Teacher Art Exchange Members,

I thought I would post this in case anyone else said "huh?" when they
saw "SDAIE images".

Specially Designed Academic Instruction in English (SDAIE), "also
called sheltered instruction, uses language-sensitive strategies,
contextual support, and a focus on academic thinking to make
instruction in English more comprehensible."

"SDAIE is a bridge that spans the gap between language and content. On
one side are students' developing English language abilities, where
the emphasis is on interaction and comprehensible input..........."

How to plan a SDAIE lesson:

Strategies - Glossary:

As far as symbols? Ditto to what Marvin Bartel said. I can not provide
you with symbols for all of your students (26 language groups). I
would probably show symbols from one culture (Akan, for instance) -
then have students create their own personal symbols (an document what
they mean to them).

I do have some sources for symbols on my site:
I liked doing animal symbolism with 6th grade (students came up with
their own meanings of animals they chose -since many animals had
positive meanings in one culture - but may have a negative meaning in

Sorry I ignored the post when it was first posted. Marvin covered very
well (actually much better - smile) what was on my mind.

Best wishes for your unit, Kathe.

Judy Decker

Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources