RE: [teacherartexchange] What do artists do? regarding routines...

---------

From: Leslie Miller (zandeerae_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 05:20:57 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Patricia Knott [mailto:pknott@enter.net]
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 10:25 PM
To: TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group
Cc: TAB-ChoiceArtEd@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [teacherartexchange] What do artists do? regarding routines...

I'm not sure that this is something "teachable"
I always think I was born an artist and the obsession "to do" is
something I recognize and nurture in those that have it but can't
instill it where it's not there. Once in a while we uncover the
passion, mostly we encourage the awareness.
I think always about my piano lessons ---- nine years of lessons - I
had some kind of skill , but no passion. Everybody tried to set a
routine for me, but the passion wasn't there. My passion and routine
was for fashion. I dressed myself, I drew and drew exotic gowns and
costumes, I sewed and made, but few saw it as very valuable .

I think the lesson is to see what passions are what kids have, and
bring them along the way so they can establish a routine so they can
find their bliss and truly know that their passions are valuable, what
ever they are.

I have a picture of Placido Domingo up on the wall in front of my computer.
The quote from it is: "When it becomes clear that no one else shares YOUR
LEVEL OF PASSION, you are where you belong."
I thinks that's not his quote, but about him. I was always accused of
being too passionate about aart and teaching. I always took that as a
compliment though the superintendent and principals who said it didn't mean
it as a compliment at all.
Les

Leslie A.Miller
ORIGINAL PAPERCUTS