[teacherartexchange] at my wit's end

---------

From: Pam Wellington (loveart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 05:03:04 PDT

Dear Art Educators everywhere,
I am the art department chair at a high school in south central
Pennsylvania. I have recently learned that my high school art classes are
going to go over 30 students in a classroom. The second art teacher has
been pulled out of my art program slowly over the past 5 years to teach tech
ed photo. I am now a one woman show, and as a result the number of sections
of art have been cut in half. Now, due to huge demand and enrollment the
solution will be to cut all of my advanced level art classes so that they
can stuff more entry level students into one class. I am at my wit's end and
very depressed about this. I have met with my principal, the assistant
superintendent of schools for curriculum, and am meeting with the
Superintendent this afternoon. I have begged, pleaded, run polls, run
numbers, written advocacy letters, sited Pennsylvania State Standards in the
Arts, and done all I can think of to do to save my art program, but it is
going right down the tubes. Any suggestions fellow art teachers? To give
you a little insight into what we used to be 5 short years ago: we had two
full-time art teachers, both with MFA's from Maryland Institute College of
Art. We had a full 3-D program, which is rare in a high school, we had many
advanced level courses, including Advanced Portfolio. Cartooning and
Illustration was added just this year. We have a huge annual art show, many
of our graduates go on to excell at top notch art schools and universities,
including Carnegie Mellon, Pratt, Tyler and MICA. We are losing it all.
Anyone know of any openings for a high school art teacher with 12 years of
experience and an MFA?
Discouraged and at my wit's end in Pennsylvania.
Pam Wellington
Art Dept. Chair
Boiling Springs High School
Boiling Springs, PA