Re: [teacherartexchange] Fwd: symbolism and SDAIE images

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 08 2005 - 12:11:46 PDT

Kathy wrote:

>I am planning a symbolism project with my 6th-8th
>grade students. I am pulling images from several
>different ethinic groups (my district has 26
>language groups). I am haivng trouble finding
>quality images. Does anyone know of any good
>Thanks
>Kathe

If you have 26 language groups you certainly have a tremendous resource.

What if you do not show any symbols or images other than those that
are already in the school building such as a flag, other common team
logos on our shirts, and commercial logos on our pens, shoes, etc.
Use what already exists in the everyday environment to validate the
need for symbols to represent identity.

What if you then give the students some time to collect symbols from
their own family traditions? What can they find by asking their
parents, grandparents, neighbors, other relatives, parents
professional and work organizations, religions, favorite athletic
teams, companies the work for, etc. Could they draw these and bring
them to class and explain the meanings to others in the class or at
least to a few team members in the class.

Might they they then design and create several team totems or
collages that represents the cultures that are represented in their
families?

Could this lead to a culminating study of actual totems, collages,
and/or other symbolic art forms that have emerged as important
identity symbols in various cultures?

studio phone: 574-533-0171
http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/multiculturalart.html
"You can't never know how to do it before you never did it before."
... a kindergarten boy working with clay for the first time.