RE: [teacherartexchange] Need advice quick

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 08 2005 - 06:50:06 PDT

Sometimes I teach the elements and principles of design using advertising
from magazines (i.e. Cosmopolitan, Good Housekeeping, etc). For example for
balance, I would have two pieces of foam core, one for symmetrical, one for
asymetrical. One the one piece marked symmetrical, I would have
advertisements pasted on that show symmetrical balance, same for the
asymetrical piece of foam core. I would do the same for all of the
principles and elements. Then on the back of all of the foam core pieces, I
would paste unmarked examples, and the students would have to tell me which
was which. I think that advertising works well for "pushing" the concepts
because it is what students on the high school level are familiar and
comfortable with. My 'lesson' would eventually lead to having them make
advertisement for fruit (using cut paper only), each advertisement
emphasizing only one of the principles and elements, thus pushing the notion
of doing MANY ideas before you "settle" on one idea. In fifteen minutes,
you COULD have them learn the difference between symmetrical and
asymmetrical (using the advertisments you have pasted on a board, or use a
powerpoint), and then they could produce a quick advertisement for fruit
using markers only, one for each. Think "ours vs. theirs", or "bunches vs.
singles". Kids are funny with fruit...they really don't take it
seriously...so you'll get dancing bananas, angry strawberries and smiley
cherries!

San D