Re: [teacherartexchange] Need advice quick

---------

From: Diane Davis (dianemdavis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 07 2005 - 07:28:46 PDT

I like to teach balance by physically getting kids to show it. One
thing I do is have two kids the same size face each other, toe to toe.
holding each other's wrists, they lean back. (I use spotters as well)
This shows the center of gravity in the middle and both straight bodies
leaning back the same distance from the center. This is symmetrical
balance

then i take a tall kid and a short kid. I ask if they balance, what
would it look like. I do the same thing, toe to toe, wrist to wrist.
The tall kid will be leaning back, but closer to the center of
balance--the short kid will lean farther back, away from the center of
balance. But...they will balance. This shows asymmetrical balance, and
is how things work visually and physically in sculptures and paintings.

I also show radial balance by having three kids toe to toe.
Doesn't take long, but it shows that things can be balanced
symmetrically and asymmetrically. the kids often confuse that with
balanced or unbalanced.
diane