RE:[teacherartexchange] Paster with armatures?

---------

From: C Kerch (ckerch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 21:40:53 PDT

Yes, you can do an armature using newspaper as a frame and plaster to cover
it. I did a project last year with my 8th graders where they created
Hawaiian Tiki Sculptures BUT I also gave them chicken wire to use to build
the armature that they covered with newspaper first then added a
plaster/vemirculite mixture over the whole thing. It turned out really well
and this year I'm having my 7th graders build a bust of their head with
Paper Pulp covered with Plaster... again, they are using a 32oz cup as part
of the armature that they cover with Paper Pulp before the newspaper. One
thing that I learned with both projects is that the Plaster will begin to
harden quickly once it reaches it's setting level so your students need to
apply the plaster quickly using gloves and if possible have them use goggles
to protect their eyes from plaster that might splatter as they put on the
layers. I tell my students that they will only apply the plaster when they
are absolutely sure they are ready because the plaster sets quick. Hope
this helps.

Mahalo,
Cathy
Honolulu, HI