[teacherartexchange] art show idea

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 18:22:49 PDT

Last year I took an idea from someone's post and I don't remember who
or what list . But it was a great idea and I want to share.
At my art show
I had a table with a sign -- MAKE A COMMENT TO THE ARTIST
"Take a moment to make a comment to an artist. Was there something that
you really liked? -- tell the artist."

I provided lots of note cards and a box to put the comments in. The
observationswere fabulous.... strangers responding to strangers...
After the show I published the comments and gave each student the cards
submitted.
Yesterday I was going through my computer files looking for a form for
this years show. A student was sitting with me, when I came across
this from last year. (How could I forget how great this was?)
I asked her if I should do this again. YES YES She told me that she
had all her comment cards from last year in her sketchbook and then
went off to make a box so we could do it again this year. These
affirmations and acknowledgments from strangers were very important for
the kids.

Try this
there is noting more encouraging than recognition from a stranger.
I'm remembering when I was in a high school musical. Two strangers came
back stage to tell me how terrific I performed. Those 2 strangers
became life- long friends of mine. They became my second mom and dad
----- it only took a moment for them to make a comment.

Try this idea
and thank you so much to whoever I got the idea from.

Patty
respond to: pknott@enter.net