Re: [teacherartexchange] Hard subjects

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 01 2005 - 19:56:57 PDT

On May 1, 2005, at 2:46 PM, Pam wrote:

> This past week three of my undergrads were honored at a reception for
> their research in art education. They are the first three from the
> arts on our campus to win an undergraduate research grant. All others
> at the awards reception were from the "hard sciences" and math. This
> was stated in the introduction by the speaker. I don't know that
> "hard" in this sense means difficult so much as it means "inflexible",
> "lacking nuance", or "prescribed"  judging from the people who spoke
> about their topics.
>
> Everything is hard. The fact the hard was put in quotes in the inquiry
> question just questions what is hard.
We know that most imply that subjects like math and science are harder
but only because the answers are arrived at by "hard" investigation,
with concrete answers.
we know that the answers in art are not so concrete and they are really
"hard."

perhaps the question for all of education is what is hard? and what
should be considered as to investigation.
I'm old. I know that the big questions don't get answers. I know that
the best thing to give kids is how to ask questions not answer to a
standard.
I don't even what to deal with anymore about how I help math. I want to
know how math helps me.
How long now have we recognized "multiple intelligences?" I think
Gardner meant to include all ways to express. We are still not
recognizing all ways to express. 20 years of Gardner and we still don't
get it.

Patty