RE: [teacherartexchange] Art Show Quotes

---------

From: The Ericksons (jorgen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 01 2005 - 18:27:18 PDT

<<<But, throughout history, many famous and not-so-famous
people have documented and written on the value of art as a springboard and
integral ingredient in all areas of our lives and throughout our lives. I'd
appreciate any "words of wisdom"!! >>>>

Here is a quote I once displayed at an art show. Unfortunately I have lost
the source information. I do remember it came from an editorial section in
a bank newsletter from Canada - which at the time I thought was pretty cool
to have a bank (all those math majors) promoting ART. Sorry I do not have
the precise info.
Cindy

Why art is important in our society. Through the ages man has made use of
the arts to build and enrich his personal and community environment. Art
experiences should contribute to an understanding of the visual aspects of
these environments and should lead to the desire to improve them. An art
program that emphasizes the ability to make qualitative visual judgments at
all educational levels can contribute to each citizenís capability to assume
his share of responsibility for the improvement of the aesthetic dimension
of both personal and community environments. This capability is important
to a humane existence and is particularly critical during periods of rapid
technological expansion.

Why art is essential in the school program. In art instruction children
express their ideas with materials, involve themselves in the examination
and appraisal of works of art, and develop aesthetic problem-solving skills.
Through these activities the art teacher offers children the opportunity to
develop creative and intuitive approaches to problem solving, thereby
providing a balance in school programs which place primary emphasis on
science and the three Rís. Although the sciences provide the means through
which man achieves survival, the arts are what make survival worthwhile.

Why art is important to your child. The arts bring a third dimension to
the educational program of the school: the personal dimension of feeling,
sensitivity, empathy, and expression. The visual arts specifically seek to
involve the student in perceiving the world he lives in, reacting to the
things he sees and feels, and interpreting his emotions, feelings, and
insights through a variety of visual materials.