Re: Graphic Design

---------

From: frank grochowski (jgrochowski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 11:06:22 PDT

Hi all,
    I did some things similiar to Vivian in my digital class. I spoke to a friend in the English depart and asked her if she could find 2 short passages which described (vividly) a place-she provided me with passages about 4-6 paragraphs in length.
    One described a train pulling into a station in Sydney, and included references to the various economic strata of the areas the train passed, as well as the topography of the settings. The other described a ghostly walk through a Middle East narrow village street in the evening, complete with views of balconies, coffee shops & minerettes. I asked the students to read each, envision/construct the imagery in their heads, & then to select the one they liked the best and create the scene, using at least 5 layers and including themselves in the composition. This was very successful!
    Another assignment asked them to create a self-portrait, (including some relavant text) and select one of the following options: Create the opposite of yourself (the most popular option!), Insert yourself into a historical setting (one of my guys is chatting with James Dean at a drive-in, while they both lounge on my students pride & joy car), or To create a self portrait which reveals some aspect of your soul which is unknown to others. I have been pleased with these results as well! Currently, they are creating a biographic homage to a resident at the nursing home across the street. We went there last Tuesday and they were each paired with a resident, interviewed them and took some shots. They will PhotoShop these together with imagery related to the info they got in the interview and create a layered montage, which will be matted. We will hang these, (along with a biographical statement they will word process), during a our exam period, at the nursing home. After the exhibit, the works will be gifted to the residents and their families.
Hope this helps,
Jude