Re: art festival

---------

From: Geoffrey McClain (skygeoff_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 05:56:07 PDT

I just participated in a community art event. A professional tile artist
lead eight weekly workshops on making clay tiles. A naturalist came in to
show us native plants from the area. Pictures were available of natve
animals. She brought large clay slabs and we drew pictures on paper and
then laid them on the slabs and traced the drawings we'd done. Then we cut
out the clay drawings and carved all of our lines into the clay. After that
we glazed them. I did a large turtle: a diamond back terrapin. She fired
everything and then put all our plants and animals into a vignette. She
added rocks, branches, leaves and tiles for water and sky. All these were
inset into large planters and benches for a community park. It's finished
now and I went to the opening ceremony and the reception following.
Anyone in the community was encouraged to participate. I was the only one
in my group that was an artist. There were several different groups that
met on different days. About 75 people including children participated. I
have pictures of my tiles on the planters which I could email you.
Hope this was helpful.
Sky in NJ