Re: Project times involving classroom teachers

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 13:33:45 PDT

The best arrangement is to work with classroom teachers when you can.

One I particularly enjoyed was 3rd grade literature book had a writing
about Japanese method of watercolor painting on rice paper with bamboo
brushes. The writing included a story about mist, fog, and water and
showed several examples of the mist painted in the Japanese style. I
could extend the samples by showing other asian watercolor paintings
and prints of other paintings. I had a painter who was going to come
in to demonstrate but every year something happened to prevent his
coming. The class room teacher covered the reading and vocabulary. We
taped the paper down to board and painted in the art room. They wrote
a poem in the classroom and wrote a written response to their painting
in the art room. After the written work was finished, typed and
printed we mounted all the work in the art room and filled many
bulletin boards with the finished product along with photos of the
students working. The project moves along so much more smoothly when
the classroom teachers are involved.

I know I was fortunate that I taught with teachers who were eager to
work together. Sometimes teachers take a little coaxing. In my
experience the principal would sometimes insisted they work together
which can make it hard but it has been many years since I had to deal
with that difficulty. Open space school where everyone teaches in
teams it becomes the norm. You get used to making the best use of each
teacher's strength.

Sharon ~NJ

From: "Hillmer, Jan" <HillmJan@Berkeleyprep.org>

Actually, Sandy, I like the thematic approach (using some area of
current classroom study) because the teacher in the reg classroom does
some introduction for me - just via her regular classes.  That way I
save time on doing that connection thing, and can spend more time with
the project.  For example, 3rd grade does reports on various states in
the spring, so this year we learned a bit about Wayne Thiebaud, and
focused on his 'halation' as a method of drawing their state capitals.
We used oil pastels.  The project urned out great, but, again, lasted 4
- 5 weeks.
I try to do some supportive teaching - adding info about artists, time,
place, etc. during the time the kids are creating, as long as they
don't need my help and/or aren't too noisy .
Jan