Re: Graphic Design

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 10:26:07 PDT

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: V Moreira Komando
  To: ArtsEdNet Talk
  Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2004 1:15 PM
  Subject: Re: Graphic Design

  I'm not sure if these are the types of lessons you are looking for, but this year for my photo class, I used Photoshop as we only have 3 enlargers in the darkroom. The kids looked at the Liz Phair video 'Why Can't I" online in class. We looked at the graphics on the covers and the vintage style of the record albums that she used in the video. I and a friend brought in LP's - and the kids didn't know what LP's were ;P They then used the digital camera or they shot regular 35mm of themselves with props and designed 2 of their own album covers in 2 different styles. They asked if they could make the album any kind of music - so we had classical to rock to punk to Christmas albums and more. It was a favorite lesson this year and gave me a real insight as to how the kids see themselves.

  We also did a lesson using an ee cummings poem. I gave each student 1 -2 lines from the poem and they had to illustrate the lines. They had to coordinate colors within the class and their piece had to be in harmony with the line / piece before them and after them. We looked at 2 text artists - Jenny Holzer and Barbara Kruger. When the projects were done I put them up on a bulletin board in the commons area in order of the original poem. It was neat to watch kids go up and read and then realize that it was a poem.

  Another lesson was to incorporate a BW image with a color image to create emphasis.

  Our last project this year we looked at Joseph Cornell's boxes and then the kids made their own boxes. We analyzed the elements that Cornell used such as the checker board looking motifs. The kids picked a theme and designed the sides in Photoshop, printed out the sides (and insides), and added objects for a more 3-D effect. Some kids did theirs on movies stars - from James Dean, I Love Lucy, to current stars. They also did cars, trucks, self portraits, the beach, dreams, and so many varieties that I can't list them all here. Layers and glass looks were achieved by printing on transparencies. The kids glued pieces to Styrofoam and cut around the shapes with the Styrofoam cutter to add some 3D aspects. Some were interactive objects that were added to the boxes. They used cigar boxes and some of the girls used jewelry boxes and little cabinets they had.

  Again, I don't know if these are what you are looking for in your curriculum, but I thought I would share. Next year I hope to have them create a magazine cover of themselves.

  ~^~
  Vivian

  Increase the Peace ~^~

  http://members.cox.net/artzheart