Wilbur Niewald / Kansas City Painter

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 09:06:01 PDT

   An article in the KC Star this morning reminded me of an
exhibit of Wilber Niewalds paintings in St. Joseph.
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/entertainment/8776771.htm?1c

I'm going to have to make time to go see it before I leave
for Taos.
Woody in KC

Wilbur Niewald: A Retrospective 1951-2004

Niewald's artistic vision has a great deal to do with Kansas City, MO,
where he was born in 1925 and has lived his whole life. As a
ten-year-old attending art classes at the Kansas City Art Institute
(KCAI), Niewald found his first artistic home. Those classes were the
beginning of what has turned out to be a 56-year association with the
school, from which he also received his undergraduate and graduate
degrees in art. Niewald started to teach at KCAI in 1949, even before
finishing his MFA. By the late 1950s he was head of the painting
department, which he led for twenty-six years. A celebrated teacher of
painting, whose students attest to the valuable training he offered
them, Niewald's career has included invitations to guest-teach at many
prestigious art schools, and he received the College Art Association's
Distinguished Teaching of Art Award in 1988.

Looking at the selection of pictures from life included in this
retrospective, one is struck by Niewald's faithfulness not only to his
procedure but also (through that procedure) to those objects, people,
and places that have moved him to try to perceive and transform them on
canvas. His commitment to working from life, which he has passed on to
generations of his students, situates him within the long and deep
history of French painting. His passionate belief in responding directly
to the world around him keeps him in the studio and outdoors, struggling
to see more clearly what he has seen so often.

ON EXHIBIT

THE SHOW: “Wilbur Niewald: A Retrospective, 1951-2004”

WHERE: Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art, 2818 Frederick Ave., St. Joseph

WHEN: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday-Friday; 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Closed Mondays. The exhibit continues through June 13.

HOW MUCH: $5 for adults 18 and older; $2 for seniors; $1 for students
with valid ID; free to children under 12 and museum members.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: 1-816-233-7003

---