RE: Help, help, need fast dry

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 29 2004 - 14:07:13 PDT

I know that you could program the whole thing from a 12 hour candeling
to a full cone 5 firing, but the steps that are built into my
computerized cone 5 firing are sort of complex--giving a soaking time
etc. that I don't really understand, so I just set it for 12 hours on
200 and then it turns off before I get there in the morning. Then I
just hit the cone 05 program and start. Before I had a computerized
kiln, I just turned the kiln on low and braced up the lid about 5 inches
with a brick and left it overnight. Then in the morning I started by
shutting the lid for 3 hours, then flip up to medium for a couple of
hours, then up to high till it kicked off. Totally unscientific. I
really like to load the kiln before the work is dry because it's easier
to move and also if it breaks, I can slip it back together. Sid

>>> HillmJan@Berkeleyprep.org 05/29/2004 5:40:29 AM >>>
Sidnie, this is great info. I'll have to check our our kiln to see if
I can alter the rate of temp. increase as you mentioned. To date, I
simply punch in the numbers for rate of increase for the complete
firing. Do you heat it for the 2 steps with 2 separate firings? That
is, after the heating by 50 degrees an hour till 200 degrees, do you
turn the kiln off and reset the kiln for the actual firing?
Jan