Re: Help, help, need fast dry

---------

From: LINDA KIELING (kielingl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 10:05:06 PDT

I am glad that you are having some success this way, especially if they
are small, thin pieces...but your percentage will go up if you let
things dry before firing...I know, I know, time is an issue.

I went to a workshop that started on Monday where we built, fired,
glazed and fired then had a show on Friday, but then that was adults and
kid's work has other issues that hamper success if rushed!!....anyway,
you have to decide that the clay experience in your classroom is
important enough to devote enough time, energy and thought to it....like
a couple of points brought up in the current thread about project times,
deciding it is ok for some projects to carry over week to week, etc...

and yes you do know about soaking (sometimes referred to as
candling)...that's what you're doing by drying in the kiln slowly! :-)

 anyway, Christa asked the initial questions...so, I suggest that you
call Skutt Kilns...they have a great tech department that will help with
any of your questions

plus, their automatic kilns have a preheat program available for ease
and convenience www.skutt.com or 503.774.6000

good luck......

>>> Nnaell@aol.com 5/28/2004 8:39:41 AM >>>
 1. How long do I soak the greenware to dry out? SOAK?? I DON'T KNOW
ABOUT SOAKING.
   2. At what temp? I TURN ONE BURNER ON LOW....OVER NIGHT...THEN
SLOWLY TURN UP THE NEXT DAY....FULL FIRE ON THIRD DAY
   3. How wet can the pots be? JUST MADE! I HAVE THE KIDS MAKE THE
WORK, PUT IT IN THE KILN AND I START FIRING RIGHT THEN IF I HAVE A FULL
KILN.
Hoping for a speedy reply.. HOPE THIS HELPS!

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu
---