RE: Project times

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 04:54:47 PDT

Actually, Sandy, I like the thematic approach (using some area of current classroom study) because the teacher in the reg classroom does some introduction for me - just via her regular classes. That way I save time on doing that connection thing, and can spend more time with the project. For example, 3rd grade does reports on various states in the spring, so this year we learned a bit about Wayne Thiebaud, and focused on his 'halation' as a method of drawing their state capitals. We used oil pastels. The project urned out great, but, again, lasted 4 - 5 weeks.
I try to do some supportive teaching - adding info about artists, time, place, etc. during the time the kids are creating, as long as they don't need my help and/or aren't too noisy .
Jan