Re: Project times

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 14:49:05 PDT

Jan,

There is not just not enough time to do all that I want with the kids in
a short 45 minutes. I hate it. All my projects at all grade levels
extend to 3, 4 , 5, 6 class periods.
Sandy The only time that they have work to take home with them at the
end of the class is if we do guided drawing like we are now. I need
everything to fit together and doing one lesson at a time without a
connecting theme, which involves time, then I don't feel like I am
reinforcing concepts, etc. I don't know how else to do it. If someone
else has a great idea for doing so, I'd like ot hear it, tool.

Hillmer, Jan wrote:

> How long do projects generally take in your classes? I have el. ed,
> and find that my projects, esp. for 4th and 5th grade last for 6 weeks
> or more. Now, when I look back,
> I wonder if the kids would be better served by shorter projects.
> Probably, the choice of projects is a mixture of thematic ideas from
> thier classroom, along with extended work in order to do the project
> with a certail degree of skill. We spent around 6 weeks (an hour a
> week) on calligraphy, and even longer on weaving little pouches. The
> 5th grade spent over six weeks on a larger watercolor - planning the
> composition, learning color mixing, etc. A portion of each day was
> used on sketchbook assignments sometimes tied to the assignment,
> sometimes not. The students don't complain, but sometimes I think I
> see their interest lag.
>
> In 2nd and 3rd grades, the projects also generally last more than one
> class period - usually 2-4 classes, 1 hour a week.
>
> Suggestions? Ideas? It always seems like we could have done so much
> more, but my memories of each class are that we used our time fully.
> Jan

---