Project times

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 04:55:54 PDT

How long do projects generally take in your classes? I have el. ed, and find that my projects, esp. for 4th and 5th grade last for 6 weeks or more. Now, when I look back,
 I wonder if the kids would be better served by shorter projects. Probably, the choice of projects is a mixture of thematic ideas from thier classroom, along with extended work in order to do the project with a certail degree of skill. We spent around 6 weeks (an hour a week) on calligraphy, and even longer on weaving little pouches. The 5th grade spent over six weeks on a larger watercolor - planning the composition, learning color mixing, etc. A portion of each day was used on sketchbook assignments sometimes tied to the assignment, sometimes not. The students don't complain, but sometimes I think I see their interest lag.

In 2nd and 3rd grades, the projects also generally last more than one class period - usually 2-4 classes, 1 hour a week.

Suggestions? Ideas? It always seems like we could have done so much more, but my memories of each class are that we used our time fully.
Jan

---