Re: Article on Taos

---------

From: knitzber (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 09:15:39 PDT

Thanks for posting the article, Woody.

I certainly did not recognize Taos from the writer's
description, but then I lived there briefly back in the
early
70s when hanging out in the town square and going to the
hot springs in Rancho de Taos or the one less frequented
in the old, abondoned stage coach station next to the Rio
Grande just to the west of the stop light north of town,
made
up a significant part of the entertainment. There were also
the communes, gun fights in the local watering
establishments and the occasional biker gang from
Nebraska that would roll into Taos and terrorize the
surrounding comminities (such as Arroyo Seco). I also
remember meeting R.C. Gorman and other notable
residents who were much grimmer and less nobler in
stature than were the reputations that often preceded them.

There was also the marvelous scenery, though, and a lot of
everyday Mexican American and Navajo folk that I had the
pleasure of knowing that continue to remind me of what
was good about my time in New Mexico all those years
ago. It was also when I met my wife which, of course, was
perhaps the single most important event in my life.

Kevan

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/living/travel/870
> 8134.htm (c) 2004 Kansas City Star and wire service
> sources. All Rights Reserved.
>

> ---
> leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

---