Re: tile project

---------

From: Kathy Hughes (kchughes55_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 17:33:38 PDT

This year I did a mural at one of my schools using handmade clay tiles. It was 4' x9' 6" and had about 190 or so, 5"x5" tiles. I used 1/2 plywood and bolted it in three sections to the brick wall using lag bolts. The reason for the three sections is because I misjudged how much the tiles would shrink and I needed to add more wood. It was supposed to be 4' x 8'. Then the tiles were put on using mastic and then the whole thing grouted. It went up really easily and looks great. We also made a poplar wood frame for the whole thing to finish it off.
Kathy Hughes

Joe Cox <bjcoxteachart@msn.com> wrote:
I my ceramic classes we are finishing up a group project where each student made a 5 x 8 low relief tile. Each tile depicts a store front of a business that represented what they wanted to do when they graduated from high school. For example a student who wanted to be a lawyer would make a law office. Now we are going to mount them on a board to create a town. Then the board will be bolted to a brick wall.

My question is what kind of board to use, each tile weighs about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds. I have already purchased a 4 ft by 8 ft masonite board that is 1/4 in thick; in which I am going to cut it in half and create 2 4 x 4 towns. I have about 75 students. Is masonite strong enough or should I get 1/2 inch plywood? My reasoning for masonite is its lighter then the plywood.

If masonite is ok which side would be best to glue the tiles to, the rough side or the sooth side?

If anyone has every done a project like this please share your knowledge.

Thanks and Blessings.
Joe