Re: tile project

---------

From: LINDA KIELING (kielingl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 15:15:57 PDT

For that size I think the masonite will be strong enough, but use the
smooth side. We used construction adhesive that comes in caulking type
tubes and it needs to set up for a while but it worked great, even for
stuff that wasn't flat! ours was on 4 x 8 plywood with tiles, relief
tiles and clay masks along with other media.
http://www.rrms.wlwv.k12.or.us/kielingl/Collaborative%20Projects/Monitor%20Elementary/Monitor%20Sculpture.htm

can't wait to see picture of this completed, sounds great!

Linda W. Kieling
Art Educator
OAEA Youth Art Month Chair
Rosemont Ridge Middle School
20001 Salamo Road
West Linn, OR 97068
503.673.7591
503.657.8720 fax
www.rrms.wlwv.k12.or.us/KielingL/Artindex.htm

>>> bjcoxteachart@msn.com 5/24/2004 3:04:06 PM >>>
I my ceramic classes we are finishing up a group project where each
student made a 5 x 8 low relief tile. Each tile depicts a store front of
a business that represented what they wanted to do when they graduated
from high school. For example a student who wanted to be a lawyer would
make a law office. Now we are going to mount them on a board to create
a town. Then the board will be bolted to a brick wall.

My question is what kind of board to use, each tile weighs about 2 to
2 1/2 pounds. I have already purchased a 4 ft by 8 ft masonite board
that is 1/4 in thick; in which I am going to cut it in half and create 2
 4 x 4 towns. I have about 75 students. Is masonite strong enough or
should I get 1/2 inch plywood? My reasoning for masonite is its lighter
then the plywood.

If masonite is ok which side would be best to glue the tiles to, the
rough side or the sooth side?

If anyone has every done a project like this please share your
knowledge.

Thanks and Blessings.
Joe Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu
---