tile project

---------

From: Joe Cox (bjcoxteachart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 15:04:06 PDT

I my ceramic classes we are finishing up a group project where each student made a 5 x 8 low relief tile. Each tile depicts a store front of a business that represented what they wanted to do when they graduated from high school. For example a student who wanted to be a lawyer would make a law office. Now we are going to mount them on a board to create a town. Then the board will be bolted to a brick wall.

My question is what kind of board to use, each tile weighs about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds. I have already purchased a 4 ft by 8 ft masonite board that is 1/4 in thick; in which I am going to cut it in half and create 2 4 x 4 towns. I have about 75 students. Is masonite strong enough or should I get 1/2 inch plywood? My reasoning for masonite is its lighter then the plywood.

If masonite is ok which side would be best to glue the tiles to, the rough side or the sooth side?

If anyone has every done a project like this please share your knowledge.

Thanks and Blessings.
Joe Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

---