RE: What goes around - Comes around! TREAT all staff with kindness

---------

From: Broadwater, Katherine (KBroadwater_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 14:25:15 PDT

This is really the truth. About a hundred years ago (my then student - now colleague) Shawn Costello and I put this list (below) together for SchoolArts Magazine. Actually, Shawn put it together from remarks I made in a materials and techniques class when she was my student. It talks about making friends with the custodians and cafeteria workers...which of course includes any one on the staff...secretaries, school nurse etc. SchoolArts published it in poster form and I still see it in many art rooms in the Baltimore area.

Kay

love kids. Love art. Take lots of vitamin B complex. Be Dramatic.

 Read School Arts. Make friends with the custodians and cafeteria

workers. Be colorful. Find a good therapist orspiritual advisor.

Think deeply. Transcend paper cuts. Openyour heart. Soak back

and feet in hot eucalyptus baths. Display artwork with

student narratives. Make snowmen outside and

paint with watercolors. Go the extra mile. Rest. Line up good art

 subs...Keep telephone numbers at home. Make lots of puppets.

Put on lots of shows. Playbeautiful music. Learn the art of winging

 it...Murphy's law loves the art room. Only teach lessons you

would enjoy doing yourself. Don't talk too much...Get to the fun stuff.

 Life's tooshort. Be funny. Be compassionate.

  S. Costello Brownell and Kay Broadwater