Re: What goes around - Comes around! TREAT all staff with kindness

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 11:32:06 PDT

Thanks LaDonna,
I would like to use this too.
Sharon ~ NJ
~~~~~~

I pride myself in the relationships I have with ALL the people at my
school. I am friends with the custodial staff (REAL friends. We talk,
laugh and share our problems) I know the cafeteria workers and they
know me by name. I know their kid's names. WHY? I don't expect favors
later-but you will get them. It is the old adage about "You get back
what you put into somthing"...or "What goes around, comes around."
Eventually all you do comes back to you - maybe in different forms from
many outlets. Some shows up next week, some next year. I just find it
easier to be kind to everyone. TREAT people the way you would like to
be treated. On the flip side, I see colleagues with doctorate degrees
(sorry- just an example - docs) who so self-absorbed, aloof, etc.You
can have many doctorate degrees and be solidly ignorant. Case in point
- At our end-of-the-year luncheon, a custodial worker stood up in front
of our entire faculty to give a plaque to a teacher who keeps her room
"so clean you could eat off the floor." To me, this was one of the most
poignant moments of the whole day. Tears formed in my eyes. My friend
sitting next to me, taps me and says, Look, Mrs. Doughface and Ms.
Applehead. THEY WERE LAUGHING at the way the custodial person spoke.
(broken English, incorrect grammar, so $@@@!!6% what) ? Without
glancing at these fools- I told my friend clearly that folk with
degrees can still be IGNORANT! The real scholar in the room was the
custodian. Kind, giving and honoring someone they respected.
Have a lovely summer. My forwarding address will be pool side with a
cool beverage (tacky pink umbrella in it) in hand.
Relax - Take some deep breaths!
LaDonna

---