Re: End of Year Thanks and requesting input from beginning teachers

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 21:53:20 PDT

Sharon Henneborn wrote:

> This is a request for Dale and all other beginning teachers. What would
> you have wanted to know before you were thrust out into the classroom.
> I remember the best advice I got was from the librarian the week before
> graduation. He said, "This is my graduation advice to you. Make
> friends with the custodian from the first day!"

This is essentially the only useful thing I learned from my co-op
teacher, 22 years ago, though he also included the secretaries. It's
been the single most useful advice I've received and used, and I used it
A LOT this year at the new school. I included the warehouse manager in
this cadre as well.

Introduce yourself, bake them cookies, compliment them, chat with them,
listen to their grievances, thank them profusely, suck up to 'em big
time...it pays incredible dividends.

BTW, I'm preparing a proposal for NAEA on how to survive your first year
of middle school, and this is some of the advice I'll be giving out.

Maggie

---