re: students do evaluate teachers, part 2?

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 14:04:30 PDT

For what they are worth, here a few ideas about teacher evaluations.
I have found it very useful to ask for a mid-term evaluation with two
questions.

1. What are the best parts of this course so far?
2. What are your ideas to make this course better for you and the
other students?

Doing the mid-term evaluation has been found to significantly improve
the end-of-term evaluations. If students feel empowered to make
improvements, they can feel ownership, responsibility, and pride.

These are some things I have asked for at the end of the term.
These are useful in planning for the next time the course is taught.

1. List and explain 3 or 4 of the most important new things you
learned about art in this class.
2. Explain and explain 2 or 3 art skills you improved in this class.
3. Sketch the most creative idea(s) you came up with for this class
and say why it was (they were) creative for you.
4. What was the hardest part of this class?
5. What was too easy about this class?
6. What did you like most about this class?
7. Which assignment did you think was best? ______ worst? ______ Why?
8. If you were the teacher, what one or two things would you change
about this class?

We must not take it too personal if we get a few bad reviews. On
the other hand if we get a high percentage of bad reviews, it may be
time to look for other work. One of my best high school teachers
moved on before I ever thought to tell him how much I learned in his
class he did. It was not until I took a class from his replacement
that I realized how good he was.

Marvin Bartel
bartelart.com

---