RE: elementary sketchbooks

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 09:40:34 PDT

This year I made some folders for my 8th graders... they all had
sketchbooks, but I wanted to run off some pages (on drawing paper) and have
handouts in between while we worked on shading and grid drawings.
I used cheap manila folders - spent a couple of dollars on paper fasteners
(2" capacity with compressors) - set my 3 hole punch to a 2 hole punch (they
are marked for this) - and then they could open the prongs and insert papers
as needed - remove papers to draw on, resort etc....
they could still decorate the covers, I color coded the labels and they were
easy to slip into bins. I still ask my elementary kids to have a sketchbook
(with pockets for loose papers) but I think I will make these for the
classes next year for certain projects - great way to have the rubrics,
sketches, practice papers together. And because it isn't permanent, we
could add more paper as needed, insert extra practice, articles and so on.
If I was working with another teacher (writing science units) we could
produce separately and join the work.

in case you don't know what type of paper fasteners I am talking about -
here is a picture. I ended up using the self-adhesive so I wouldn't have to
punch folders separately.

Before I have added things to the file folder and laminated to use for
certain units - kids can use, take their papers at the end and I can save
for the next year.
http://www.keysan.com/ksu0741.htm

Ellen

---