Re: elementary sketchbooks

---------

From: Deborah Gilbert (dngart1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 10:55:13 PDT

On Thursday, May 20, 2004, at 01:00 AM, Jan Hillmer wrote:

> The kids walked in, got paper and a pencil and sat down at their
> tables. I
> gave the assignment which was to illustrate an art term, or explore an
> artist's style. Now I can't imagine not using sketchbooks

I am also an elementary teacher and I've been trying different forms of
sketchbooks for a couple of years now. Jan, after they use their paper
and pencil, do these get put into a sketchbook somehow? One problem I
have is a very transient population. Last year I tried buying 3 prong
folders and having kids add their pages to it but with the heavy
turnover of kids, I would say that only about half of the students got
the benefit of using their folders for the whole year and then I was
left with a pile of drawn on, marked up folders that had to be thrown
away.

I am wondering what form elementary sketchbooks take for most of you.
And also, what do students use them for -- how often do they draw in
them, do they do sketching in them besides planning for the assignment
they are working on, etc?

Deborah in Colorado

---