Empty Bowl Lesson -Success story - Authentic art project

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 12:08:03 PDT

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

My Empty bowls Project with sixth gradere was always a
huge success. One year we even did it with
Kindergarteners - 6th graders teaching them how to
make leaf impression bowls - showing our love and
respect for nature (just like the Anasazi did).

Here is a great story that Patty Knott shared with
ArtsEDucator's list:

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/05/18/loc_loc3art.html
Sonya Linder is bowled over. Her classroom at River
Ridge Elementary School in Villa Hills is filled with
bowls. So is the room across the hall. During
breaks, Linder rotates bowls through a kiln. At home,
she dreams about them. This is what happens when art
teachers think big. Charlotte Kuhlman, 9, right, a
fourth grade student in the art class of teacher
Sonya Linder at River Ridge Elementary School in Villa
Hills, Ky. gets a little help from her mom, Elizabeth
Kuhlman, as they make a paper bowl at
the school. "She's probably pretty stressed,"
9-year-old Luke Shaffer says. "She goes to and fro."
For the third year in a row, Linder is supervising a
schoolwide art project at River Ridge. This time,
students are making nearly 800 bowls - out of
papier-mache, clay, fiber coils and homemade paper.
On June 3, at a dinner and show expected to draw 600
people, the brightly colored pieces will be sold to
raise money for a food pantry at the school's
family resource center.
This can work for you too.... Paper mache lesson and
cast papper lesson coming soon to IAD....but in the
mean time, it is easy to figure out. See the weaving
lessons already on the site (try using a paper plate
for a bowl weaving instead of a cup for the younger
grades). Coil basket lesson is on the site too - as
well as draped slab bowls. The final projects can be
functional or a sculptural (as one I bought one year
-Each year, I bought a bowl to show my kids the
following year. Although sometimes I bought one of
my students' bowls to gift back to the student). We
made draped slab leaf impression bowls and learned
underglazing techniques. The bowls the kids
made to keep were more elaborate and took longer to
make. Our draped slab bowls were made in one class
period -- then glazed/underglazed in one class
period. It was well worth the time spent. We had a
food drive with all sixth grade classes, too. The
classroom that brought in the most cans received a
free pizza lunch from me. I forget how many tons of
food we collected over the years (yes TONS of food).

Sculptural Bowls draped slab lesson from Kara has been
shared and will completed an linked up soon.

Judy Decker

=====
Judy Decker
jdecker4art@yahoo.com