Re: Some Neat Personal things...

---------

From: Larry Prescott (larrcott1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 07:51:11 PDT

Incredible work. Incredible talent. This kind of work only comes from intense dedication and practice. I enjoyed the show on the website. Any young person who can focus like that, has earned the financial help they are given. Larry P.

Larry Seiler <lseiler@laona.k12.wi.us> wrote: I've been burning the candle the last couple days as I'm sure many of
you this time of the year are. Getting student works ready to drive
over to the host district school of this year's high school student's
art show. Midnight the other night, and till 1am last night.

I have one senior girl in particular who has done some very good work
this year. I've shown some past pieces of hers such as the suicidal
statement with the typewriter called, "Help!"...but if interested, Erin
did a 24" x 18" copy of Van Gogh's Blue Irises, and she did a Degas
theme series of the Jockeys and Horse Race Track on a bench I brought
from home for her to paint on. You can see those works here-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188818

another thing I have to share, which is a tribute of where hard work,
endeavoring to pursue your dreams and such pays off. It concerns my 26
year old son Jason, who has become a world class caricaturist. For the
second year he has won 3rd place in international competition in an
annual contest. He is featured in three magazines this month, having
done the covers for two of them and a six page story on him in
Caricature magazine. He did the last two covers for "Cracked" magazine
which is Mad comic's competitor.

Well...being good is never enough. Anyone that is a painter such as
myself, or artist knows that remaining teachable, constantly challenging
yourself is where growth comes. Excellence is not an accident.

We were not able to afford to help Jason get to art school...however,
his talents and efforts opened doors for him. He has had two cartoon
strips as a regular feature in an international magazine for example.
The good news is, on a whim yesterday, he took his portfolio under arm,
hopped on the L-train in Chicago, and went down to the Chicago Academy
of Art near the Art Institute. He has been entertaining hopes of art
school to challenge him still more. The person interviewing him and
his portfolio did so nearly with her mouth dropped the entire time. He
had a second interview that same day with the financial people called
in...and they gave him a full four year scholarship!

Let that be a testament to dreams being worth pursuit. Never cease to
believe in yourself, your God given calling or place in life. Never
look back. Winners never quit, quitters never win. Jason has his own
website, and if you have a moment...considering what it is we do as art
teachers, drop him a short congratulations!
http://www.jasonseiler.com

proud as can be...!

Larry Seiler
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org