Re: Jason and Erin...

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 07:54:06 PDT

Thanks to everyone for your kind regards concerning Erin and my son Jason.

As a father and educator...one entertains moments of "where did I go
wrong?" when one's only children graduating from high school do not go
on to higher education.

My younger son, 23 years of age...finally chose to go to tech school
this year and is finishing up his first. He is studying soils, plants,
chemicals, landscaping and is interning at a very prestigious golf
course here in Wisconsin. He is studying and working toward being a
golf course maintenance supervisor. Only took five years following high
school for him to get motivated.

Jason's talent took off, finding open doors to work in a Chicago
magazine right away cartooning and teaching himself photoshop to work
with page layouts. One thing led to another, and there was concern if
he could support himself.

funny thing is...look who is doing the concerning here! I myself an
artist having worked fulltime as a painter and running my own business
as a painter, doing the gallery thing...and having exited the classroom,
back in it. I know the struggles of the artistic life, and my sons grew
up under that. Still...Jason was quite determined. His talent is very
finely tuned and high end with what he does featured often in magazines
and such...but we know that reputation and 50 cents will get you a cup
of coffee.

But...as an encouragement to others, to sudents...hard work and
determination does bring its eventual rewards. At 26 years of age, it
took him eight years out of high school to move on to higher
education...and what an education he will not be receiving! I am as a
painter in part envious, yet as a father...very excited for him.

Larry S.

---