Re: Listen Up! One time instructions!

---------

From: Pam Smith (thinkart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 00:23:34 PDT

Whew, I hear you. I was taking to some of my students at recess about this
very thing and one of them said, ³Miss, why donıt you write it and the board
and make us copy it in our sketchbooks.² I used to write directions and
objectives on the board and I donıt know why I havenıt been doing that
lately. But having them write it in their sketchbooks was a wonderful idea.
I have just started doing that and it seems to make a difference. If a
student was absent I have them ask another student. I will usually give them
the oral directions again, if they need it, but that hasnıt been necessary
as much as it was before.
Aloha Pam

> Amen! You waste valuable class time repeating instruction. Sometimes I write
> on my board (if simple enough) Most often ... an enlightened neighbor of the
> 'negligent' student explains the directions. Good for the students 'on top of
> things', good for the 'daydreamers' and great for the teachers! Save your
> voice and sanity by setting expectations for listening and for making the
> students responsible for their actions -or lack of.
>
> LaDonna Dixon, NBCT
>
> "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems,
> but, it annoys enough people to make it worthwhile."
> ---
du

---