Re: One time instructions - 3 Before Me Rule addition to #1 & #3

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 21:46:50 PDT

Add to #1: the rubric and to # 3: I had a list called PEER COACH
hanging up that any student who had mastered a particular skill was
asked by me to sign and list the skill so those who needed help knew
who to ask for coaching. My classes were trained early in the year to
use helpful coaching skills. (Coach by showing an example, by asking
questions, by stating facts, and by giving opinions (I messages).
Saved me lots of time and adding their opinions to mine made for very
rich lessons ;<)
Sharon ~ NJ

On Saturday, May 15, 2004, at 11:36 PM, Judith Decker wrote:
> Well...I will toss my hat in the ring, too.... The three before me
> rule works with middle school kids. Make a bulletin board at the start
> of the school year. I got this idea from a co-worker and have shared
> it often with the list.
> 3 Before Me:
> 1. Use handouts - instructions sheets - your notes
> 2. Look at art visuals - prints and examples
> 3. Ask someone at your table who knows what they are doing I actually
> put the lesson plans on the table for many of my units - might as well
> have someone read them. Admin never did (nor did I). I was always
> available the "crisis"....but tried to use the 3 before me rule for
> the little things (and for those who didn't listen).
> Judy Decker
> --- N2ART247@aol.com wrote:
>> Amen! You waste valuable class time repeating instruction. Sometimes
>> I write on my board (if simple enough) Most often ... an enlightened
>> neighbor of the 'negligent' student explains the directions.

---