RE: principal questions

---------

From: Alix Peshette (apeshet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 22:44:53 PDT

Someone wrote: I would try to work in the question - "do you like being
around children"?

Hi,
The concept of that question is good, but right now it is phrased as a yes
or no answer. Any candidate is going to know that the only acceptable
answer is yes, which doesn't offer any real information. Interview
questions which require more than yes or no answers, or which don't tip off
the interviewee to the correct answer give more insightful information.

How about:
"Tell us what you enjoy about being around children?"
"In what ways do you like to interact with students?"
"What kinds of school-wide incentive programs have you initiated for
students?"
"How have you improved the school, academic or the social climate for
students in your past schools?"

P.S. I've been on a lot of interviewing committees for principal for my
school over the last 10 years. Beware of the answer that the principal likes
to get out in the halls during passing periods. The reality is that almost
no principal has time to be out in the halls! The last two we have hired
spun that line and it wasn't true!

-Alix

---