RE: question about due dates

---------

From: Alix Peshette (apeshet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 22:05:50 PDT

Hi,
I thought I would join this conversation as it's one that I have had with
myself lately! (Silently, mind you) I teach computer arts in my middle
school. I too accept late work without penalty. I don't give any grade
until the work is turned in.

I don't assume that most kids can complete the work at home due to
incompatible computer software, lack of software, lack of computers etc. I
will burn a CD of their work-in-progress and a demo of the software we are
using so that there is the opportunity to work at home, but without help.
This usually means they need to do the work at school.

However, the problem I have been running into lately is the kid who has
blown off listening to instructions, participating in the demos, hasn't done
the project, then decides to finally turn in the work and demands lots of
one-on-one help because he didn't listen to instructions, participated in
the demos....etc.

I feel that it's unfair to have this child usurp my time and attention
during class when I need to help other students who have been trying since
day-one on the assignments. I do give students time towards the end of a
class period to work on past work with help. I also have a few catch-up
days before major grading periods for student to get help.

Sorry, but I don't make it a policy to have students in my room before or
after school; that's when I'm prepping, loading software, grading work. etc.
They do have access before and after school to the library lab, sans help.

Anyone else running into this situation? How do you handle it? Suggestions
will be gratefully accepted!

-Alix