Re: Betty...cardboard things that spin like a button

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 11:51:14 PDT

  Betty would you please describe what the above project is like. Thanks, Larry

  What, Larry, you mean the thingy with those other deelie-whoppers wasn't clear enough? sorry about that. This is an old Victorian-like craft, you can do it with either squares or circles (squares are easier for me to cut). I use about 3" square. Poke two holes side-by-side in the very center, like on a button. Thread a single (about a yard-long) string through them, and tie the ends of the thread together. hold one end of the thread loop in each hand, with the cardboard square suspended in the middle. twirl horizontally so that the thread twists and the square swings in a vertical circle. After the thread is pretty twisted, pull your hands apart quickly. This will make the square spin very very fast. With a little practice you can keep it spinning for a long long time, just let the string re-spin itself then pull out again and it will spin the opposite direction. It also makes a very satisfying and suprisingly loud whooshing buzzing noise.

  They enjoy seeing how the designs and colors they put on the wheels blend into completely different circular patterns. And they love the noise.

---