re: question about due dates

---------

From: Larry Prescott (larrcott1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 08:42:22 PDT

I have found a solution that works for me at this time. I have a due date but accept late work without any penalty. I also accept reworked assignments at any time without penalty. This gives kids a target date to work toward. On the due date, I collect the work and grade in accordingly. If the work is not complete at this time, I give it a C if the student has been conscientious but still needs more time. If a student is just "blowing off" the assignment, but has put some minimal effort into class participation, I give the work a D. For work that is not present on the due date, but I know the student has participated in class, I give a D-. I then remind students that I accept work at any time...even next year with no penalty. (This last statement gets most of my 13-year-old brains thinking about the policy) This gives kids the chance to turn in the assignment when they complete it and change their C or D to an A. Kids who need the extra time are given a way to satisfy
 their need to work well and not be penalized. This extra work is to be completed before or after school or at home. Some of my best work has come in several weeks after the due date. For example, I had a piece of art that placed first in our state middle school art contest that was several weeks late. The student who completed this work changed her C to an A in the grade book. This would never have happened if I did not set up a policy like I have. In short, have a due date, but work in a way that you will accept any assignment or reworked assignment at any time without grade reduction for tardiness.

This policy also keeps parents happy. They are amazed that I accept late work without any penalty and that I allow students to redo any work that they would like to do without any penalty.

Larry

Larry Prescott
Art Teacher
Madison Middle School