Re: Masks from Many Cultures marcia, judy

---------

From: Larry Prescott (larrcott1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 07:45:35 PDT

marcia lavery <marciadotcom@yahoo.com> wrote:This is a great video!! I show it every quarter when I make plaster strip masks with my 7th graders. It is entertaining: shows costumes and masks from mardi gras with music (even a teenage mutant ninja turtle!), and shows MANY clear images of masks throughout history and from many different countries. The narrator gives a little background info about the masks and is easily understood by the middle schoolers. I have the kids divide a piece of notebook paper in half and they take notes while they are watching the video. On one side of the paper, they list "functions or uses of masks" (festivals, religious ceremonies, drama, etc.). On the other side, they list "materials that have been used in masks" (everything from clay to animal hair). They try to list as many as they can (some have FILLED the page!!) After the movie, they get in groups and compile their lists to include everyone's notes. Then, they make a web of all the
 information (some groups web the functions, some groups web the materials). I usually staple these on a bulletin board for the duration of the project. For the remaining time, they complete a "Mask Planning Worksheet" and draw their idea on paper. So, in conclusion, I highly recommend this video! Marcia

Judith Decker <jdecker4art@yahoo.com> wrote: Dear Art Educators,

Larry Prescott does something with masks with all
grade levels. Does anyone have an opinion on Masks
from Many Cultures? That is one he could get for FREE
from Art Video World. Larry - push to get 6 videos -
that way you can get two free - or two print sets
free. I personally have not seen Masks from Many
Cultures - but it sounds good as it shows dances and
festivals too (comprehensive arts). Video is 21
minutes long. That would give you a chance to talk
about the video and present your own masks.

I did see one Masks of Mexico video that I did not
like - cover was different taht the one they AVW
lists. (Maks videos are on page 38 - print set is at
back).

Hope someone has some input.

Judy Decker

Larry Prescott