Re: Water color idea - "The Bigger Picture"

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 10:01:30 PDT

Greetings Joe and all.

I have been giving Joe ideas off list ever since he
posted...This one I am posting to the list then I will
shut down my "idea factory" on this topic. I don't
"jump in" to the list much these days as I have a hard
time stopping the wheels from turning (thanks to
Larry's "Pond Scum" post -- grin).

Here is my "What's the Bigger Picture?" - Joe will not
have time to do all of this as it will require kids to
select a landmark - or an area of the city - and
research what was there before - some history of the
community.

This idea has a picture within a picture. The smaller
picture will be a focal point - rendered more
carefully and maybe accented with pen and ink drawing
techniques to refine. For my "Invisible Art" project,
I will select a historical picture of Gregg's
Department Store - the last downtown Lima store to
close its doors (1985 - after over 100 years of
serving the community). I think I willuse the bold
colors of John Nieto for this. I may even weave it
with a painting of the building the stands in its
place (the Court of Appeals - that also houses the
County Ed offices - little looks the same as the old
store building inside or out). The larger second
painting will be of rural fields - the old landscape
pre-1960s of Elida Road with drawings of the Lima Mall
woven in. The larger painting will have the story
written about how the Lima Mall brought about the
downfall of downtown Lima - which now hosts just a few
office buildings,court house, a couple restaurants and
empty buildings. The larger painting may use colors of
Wayne Theibaud. The larger painting will not have as
much detail - so the words will show up. The artist
for reference for this unit would be Pat Stier (I have
posted many links for her work in the past):

Pat Stier - interesting landscapes that could be done
with watercolor collage.
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/steir_pat.html

The smaller painting could be raised up 3-D from the
bigger painting if desired.

This will be a lesson about changes in the community
and a reflection on the past.

I will include this idea on the watercolor ideas page
- but will not have a sample shown so it will not be
in the contest. This idea actually brings together
five separate ideas that were shared.

The mat to frame it might even be old Gregg's ads
collaged. The Newspaper would be a good source for
those. I could take my digital camera in and photgraph
them - print them out on a color that would accent the
painting - or maybe "parchment" paper.

If anyone uses this idea - I would like to have a
sample to show with the description - then YOU can be
in the contest. I have no need to do my "invisible
art" - I worked at Gregg's for 6 years in advertising.
The closing of the store brought me back to education.

My definitiion of WOW for this one is Words on
Watercolor

Judy Decker