Re: Watercolor Ideas Needed

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 06:17:34 PDT

i'm really excited about our upcoming end of the year project...the theme is machines, from simple (see-saw, wheelbarrow...) to complex (submarine or computer). students will decide upon a subject by choosing a machine that is really important to them (shower) that they appreciate or use everyday OR one that is visually appealing to them (racecar) OR one that they think is super-cool (a theramin). they will procure photos from google image or bring them from home. there are several choices for methods of representation which i have examples of (i can send these images to judy if people are interested and if she wants to post them - i got them from art.com by doing a search for bicycle; there are LOTS of different methods of rep shown), from showing the machine in a scene, drawing a close-up of one or more parts, abstracting, distorting, embellishing design features... students will be asked to incorporate design features into their composition which communicate characteristics of
 their machine. they will do a sketch and final enlarged copy in pencil. color swatches come next - with watercolors students will create a mixed color scheme that includes a full range of values. they will use those colors to paint their final compositon and incorporate at least one watercolor technique we have learned this year (wax resist, blotting, etc.) finally, we will use sharpies and colored pencil as needed for fine detail and emphasizing outlines...

we haven't started yet - we're finishing up a previous project - but i've told the kids about it so they can start thinking about their choice and i have started working on my example. the kids say they think its a cool last project! i plan to take picts of the results and share over the summer.

:D wendy