Question about due dates

---------

From: Kara LiCausi (klicausi_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 05:32:54 PDT

Hello Everybody,
     As the end of the year approaches, students are talking more, working less and not completing projects on time! It is driving me insane! I normally don't stick to any specific "due dates" (except for homeworks). I like to let the projects run their course and prefer that they are done well rather than done quickly...but right now I can sense that the projects we are doing can go on forever if let them.
     I have made specific due dates and a majority of students finish on time...but the problem is with the two smaller groups. The first group is the "lazy" kids who just waste their time in class and for whom the due dates are really intended. The other group is the slow but very conscientious workers who are doing awesome work and just can't seem to finish on time. I don't know how to approach forcing the kids to stick to a due date unless there is a consequence attached to it...but I don't want to penalize that "slow but steady" group.
     I am sticking firm to the fact that they cannot work in class on the project past the due date. They can work at home and come in at lunch or in the morning...but then I feel like I am becoming a prisoner in my own room just to make sure these kids get the work finsihed. I also send home letters to the parents letting them know the situation...but I still son't feel satisfied that things will work out.
   I teach Middle School...6th and 7th grade. The problem is mostly with my 7th graders who I get for 20 week sessions.
   I have thought and thought and still can't come up with a solution...any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Kara

--
Kara LiCausi
Northport Middle School