Re water color ideas.

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 03:21:44 PDT

out of focus water colors
You have to have access to a slide projector...and some images. I had
slides I had taken of various subjects, a window with vegetation around it,
a simple landscape, some of my irises in my garden. I imagine if you had
any image it would do.
Students had 3 to three pieces of postcard sized water color paper brushes,
water,watercolors, paper towel. Dim lights. Tell them to work fast.
1. day one show image out of focus. Give them 8-10 per image. Do at least
two images. first Instructions. Use wet on wet to capture the sense of the
image. no black in trays
2. day two tighten focus a bit Do the same ten minute per image. More than
one image. Begin to loosely define the image.
3. day three tight focus. They see image. Refine the details. Don't
start over, just resolve what you have ten minutes do all images.

Water color postcards.
create a list of water color techniques sponging salt wet on wet
gradations, dry brush, saran wrap scrunched don wet wash. Do sampler.
Final image, cut up you sampler and create a small collage landscape
using the bits of the now dry sampler. I had two example pre made.

Draw a face: can be a self portrait. Using tracing paper repeat 3 times in
a grid format. So you have a Warhol like image of four. Ink over with perm.
ink. apply water color washes. Go for four different moods.

Wet on wet images. tape paper down. dampen. Using soft puddles color do
a wet on wet. Let dry. Look at them. Work into them using pen and ink.
Any subject matter.... Landscape doodle...still life, flowers.

---