American Artist - Bold colors- Native American themes

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 04:13:00 PDT

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

Wendy was looking for artists who were inspired by
other artists. John Nieto did Several Rabbits after
Durer. I added Nieto to my list of American Artists.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/america.htm

I have seen the work of John Nieto (American Painter,
Born 1936) before and just rediscovered him. LOTS of
bold color! Most of the images online of silkscreen
prints.

Here are many images:
http://www.artbrokerage.com/retail/nieto.htm
You will want to show your students "O Say Can You
See"
http://www.artbrokerage.com/retail/nieto/nieto_osaycanyousee.htm
And here is his Rabbit after Durer (one of several I
have seen online)
http://www.artbrokerage.com/retail/nieto/nieto_rabbit.htm
See another at the Wild Life Museum

This Gallery has many prints - four pages of images
http://www.settlerswest.com/contemporary/john_nieto.htm

Here is another Rabbit after Durer:
http://www.settlerswest.com/contemporary/Rabbit.htm
One page of images are too small to show - but very
powerful.

"John Nieto is one of America's most dynamic
contemporary artists, concentrating on themes that
transcend mere representation. He utilizes
intense primary color, applied in bold strokes to give
dimension and character to the canvas. An innovative
interpreter of his native southwest,
Nieto's dramatic compositions and bold use of color
translate classic American themes into modern images
that escape the boundaries of time."

Sort of Warhol/Neiman combined in style?
Thought you might consider him for your portraits
units.

Judy Decker

=====
Judy Decker