simple writing linked to films

---------

From: Sue Stewart (Sue_Stewart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 12:19:47 PDT

Here are two simple writing assignments (suitable for 9/10 gr) for the
Close and Haring films.
______________________________________

Art Discovery 3 (30 points) Chuck Close Film

Take notes on the film here – artist name, locations, time periods, etc.

Choose ONE question to answer in paragraph form.

A. Is photo-realism genuine art?? Should it have value? Why or why not?

B. Does art need a social issue behind it to make it important? How about
beauty?

C. Does Chuck Close's life and illness influence the value of his art? Is
this the way the value of art should be determined? What are the
standards for value in art?
_-____________________________________________________________________

Art Discovery 1 (30 points) Keith Haring film

Take notes on the film here – artist name, locations, time periods, etc.
(I will stop the film for you to catch up and to look at your note taking)

Choose ONE question to answer in paragraph form.

A. Is graffiti genuine art?? Should it have value? Why or why not?

B. Does art need a social issue behind it to make it important? How about
beauty?

C. Did Keith Haring’s life and tragic death influence the value of his
art? Is this the way the value of art should be determined? What are the
standards for value in art?

Turn in notes and paragraph with concrete details and commentary no later

Sue E. Stewart
Fine Arts and English
Sumner High School

---