Re: top five art videos for middle school - Larry

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 14:53:21 PDT

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Larry Prescott
  To: ArtsEdNet Talk
  Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 5:32 PM
  Subject: Re: top five art videos for middle school - Larry

  Thanks, for your responses. It is well worth creating projects that can be supported with stimulating and interesting videos.

  Judith Decker <jdecker4art@yahoo.com> wrote:
    Greetings Larry,

    I have so many favorites.....But I must first look at
    your curriculum to decide what is best for you.
    Definitely add Masters of Illusions for your
    Perspective lessons. Personally, I do not recommend
    Gerald Brommer's perspective for you. Do add Keith
    Haring "Drawing the Line". It would mean adding a unit
    for your students but it is well worth it (you could
    tie his work in with your patterned animals - as
    Haring was definitely inspired by pattern -
    particularly pre-Columbian design. I even tied him in
    with a printmaking unit I did - just on line and
    pattern. You coul duse him fo ryour relief printing
    unit). I believe you have Chuck Close: Up Close
    already?

    If I were to select just one Pop artist - I would go
    with Lichtenstein (I have liked all of his videos) -
    Try Roy Lichtentstein: Reflections as that! is only 30
    minute long - perfect length for middlers.

    You don't do clay? No kiln? Any chances of getting a
    kiln? I have some favorites, there, too.

    Try to add some cultural videos. I liked African
    Art:Through the Eyes of Africa. Focusing on Bamana,
    Dogon and D'jenne (Art of Mali) -- but also on
    influences on modern art. (Page 34 on Art Video
    World).

    Do add African American. I liked both Jacob Lawrence
    videos I saw and Romare Bearden Visual Jazz. This
    would mean adding a unit focusing on African American
    art.

    You might like Picasso Makes Faces? - that is new. I
    have not seen it -- or Henri Matisse: Pattern & Paper
    (also new)...and both short videos.

    What about Georgia O'Keeffe? "The Southwest of Georgia
    O'Keeffe" is new and only 10 minutes. I am very
    interested in all of these new 10 minute videos. See
    page 24 Art Video World for more listings.

    Do you have Eric Carle: Picture Writer? That fits in!
    with your lessons.

    Folks rave about the Behind the Scenes Video series
    but I have not seen any of these. Maybe start with
    Hockney? as that fits nicely into your lessons. Folks
    like Thiebaud, too.

    How much of a Hispanic population do you have? Crizmac
    Days of the Dead might be nice...or maybe add Oaxacan
    wood carving? My students loved that video.

    If you do not have Art Video World - call 1
    800-644-3429. They seem to have the largest
    selection...Then you can check around to see if they
    have the best prices. All Crizmac videos I have see
    are excellent for middle school - 1-800-913-8555

    Hope this helps,

    Judy Decker

    --- Larry Prescott wrote:
    ...If you have favorites,
> appropriate for middle school, please note them...
> Larry Prescott

leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

  Larry Prescott
  Art Teacher